Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cuz' Olive you!


Consider this an important public service post! 

 I will start by asking a question...Do you know GOOD olive oil?  You know how most recipes say "1/2 cup of good olive oil", I finally asked myself if I was using "good olive oil" and the answer was...I had no idea!  I was never loyal to one brand, I played the field hoping something "good" would jump out at me.  Guess what, it never did!  So, about two years ago I set out to get to the bottom of the "good olive oil" situation.  I started by tasting my trusty giant jug o' olive oil from Costco.  I was not impressed, it was not bad, just meh!
 In a fit of suddenly being disgusted by my poor choice in olive oil, I took to the internet!  I quickly found this place!  I called my Mom immediately and we made plans to go the next day, as it was quickly turning into an olive oil emergency in my mind!



It is called Old Town Oil and it is on Wells Street in Chicago.  It is one big oil and vinegar party in this place.  And let me just tell you this, it is impossible to leave without trying and finding "GOOD Olive Oil".  Not good, but GOOD!!!

First of all, you will get to try the oils, you will be educated by the very kind and knowledgeable staff and you will leave wondering why you spent so much time with olive oil that is just "meh".

After they set you straight on the oil, you can get into the vinegar.  I personally think vinegar should be its own food group, so I actually left with way more vinegar than oil, but that's just me.  

They will also open your eyes to all of the awesome possibilities of oil and vinegar.  I am currently hooked on this amazing combo of Tuscan Herb Olive Oil along with the Pomegranate Balsamic.  On their own, they are both delicious, but mixed together on grilled veggies or a simple salad, it is out of this world. 

They also have these awesome spouts for your bottles, to make pouring easier.  And you can take your old bottles back and get a small discount on your next bottles.  

If you are near Wells and North, do yourself a favor and check this place out.  While you are at it, you should check out The Spice House since it is just a couple of doors down.  Then reward yourself at one of our favorite French Bakeries/Cafes, La Fournette.  It is just across the street and a couple of doors north.

You're Welcome!!!

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of when I was a child, my Grandmother and I would go to some Italian deli in Chicago and buy their olive oil, it was straight from Italy, that stuff was the best! Oh the memories:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had a place like that closer to home! Or do we, and I have just missed it?

    ReplyDelete